Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's on your list?

Lena I and will be working through our own homemade version of Five In A Row this fall. If it goes well and seems like a fair amount of invested time for output, we’ll continue it for the year.

In their own words:  Five in a Row is more than just a set of lesson plans. It’s an approach to learning that will forever change how both you, and your children view education, books and teaching. Tested by more than 100,000 families over the past 16 years who have all shared the amazing discovery of Five in a Row with one another by word of mouth.

Basically, you pick out one good book a week to read with the child each day. Then you have a learning objective for each day Social Studies, Language Arts, Art, Applied Math, and Science.

As I began blog post writing this morning, I was prepared to tell you that I would use the book list from FIAR and prepare my own lesson plans for the subjects listed above (and add or subtract from that list as I was so inclined), however, due to two lucky bids on EBay, I’m now the proud owner of the first two volumes! So, we’ll see what I think there. (I really intended to only get the first volume and check it out, but you know how exciting EBay can be…I kind of got caught up in the second one!)

From my reading on FIAR, I thought it would be a fun, new, and creative way for Lena and I continue to explore reading as well as other subject areas. We’ll add our own ideas to what she could be learning as a Kindergartner, as well, but the book reading and subject areas which FIAR presents will be the backbone of our study.

The book list FIAR recommends for Volume 1 & 2:
The Story About Ping, Lentil, Madeline, A Pair of Red Clogs, The Rag Coat, Who Owns the Sun?, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, The Glorious Flight, How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World,
Grandfather's Journey, Cranberry Thanksgiving, another Celebrated Dancing Bear, Papa Piccolo, Very Last First Time, The Clown of God, Storm in the Night, Katy and the Big Snow, Night of the Moonjellies, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, That Walked to Paris, Three Names, Wee Gillis, Owl Mon, A New Coat for Anna, Mrs. Katz and Tush, Mirette on the High Wire, They Were Strong and Good, Babar, To Duet or Not to Duet, The Story of Ferdinand, Down, Down the Mountain, Make Way for Ducklings, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Mr. Gumpy’s Motor Car, All Those Secrets of the World, Miss Rumphius, The Little Red LIghthouse and the Great Gray Bridge, Follow the Drinking Gourd, Harold and the Purple Crayon, When I Was Young in the Mountains, Gramma’s Walk

Today I’m asking you…..are there any glaring omissions? What is your favorite children’s book? Why do you love it (artwork, theme, lessons, text)?

Lena and I will give a look over any suggestions and see if we love it, too!

No comments: