Thursday, October 14, 2010

Make mine caramel, please.

Last summer, before some good friends moved, I asked the Mrs. to share a recipe for me that I could keep as a remembrance of them.  I really like having other people's recipes, especially written in their own handwriting.  It's such a cool keepsake.


The Mrs. suggested the recipe for her caramel corn, since it was something she'd seen Paul enjoy before a band practice or two.


Instead of writing it all down, she invited me over to make it with her and save her some of the detailed recipe writing.


So, for the first, time, I made popcorn not in a microwave, but on the stove!


I also mixed caramel corn in a paper bag instead of dirtying up another bowl!


Lena was my sous chef and helped me bake the corn in the oven.


We were sending some of that caramel corn love to a few of our long distance peeps, so we sent a little to some folks who'd been helping us out around here too, lately.  Lena decorated the gift bags.

An easy and quick recipe for a chilly fall day:

Sue's Caramel Corn

Mix over medium heat to a full on boil:
2 c. brown sugar, 1 c. butter, 1/2 c. corn syrup
After boil, add these off heat and stir well:
1 t. salt, 1 t. vanilla, 1 t. baking soda

Pour mixture over 1/3 full grocery bag of popped corn and stir.
Remove any unpopped kernels and add nuts if you'd like.

Pour into a roaster pan or onto a baked sheet and bake @ 250 degrees for 30 minutes.  Stir half way through baking time.  Share!



No comments: