Monday, November 8, 2010

Reading for Comprehension

I have recently investigated the website Book Adventure for kids. 

"Book Adventure is a FREE reading motivation program for children in grades K-8. Children create their own book lists from over 7,000 recommended titles, take multiple choice quizzes on the books they've read, and earn points and prizes for their literary successes. Book Adventure was created by and is maintained by Sylvan Learning."


There are actually prizes the kids can win.  The prize choices were better than I thought they'd be (considering it's free).

I showed it to Jackson last night, and he was very interested!  Jack's reading level is very high, and he reads with great speed.  It leaves me wondering (beyond reviewing with him and book club) "Is he really getting all the content?"  I was able to tell within a few minutes, what sort of retention and attention to reading in detail he had.  One note, too, the more difficult the reading level of the book, the more detailed and complex the questions.

I know if I read the questions to Lena, she would be able to participate as well.  Many of her FIAR books were listed as choices on which to quiz.

Check it out!

No comments: