Monday, February 15, 2010

Healthy to Unhealthy

Being semi-kid free for the weekend, I'll share something sweet instead!

I haven't had ice cream in weeks, but last weekend seemed like the perfect blustery, cold weather to break my ice cream stale mate. 

Lena found this recipe on a PBS kid's game.  Because she wanted to print it off, I decided she could help me make it!  Instead of using the apples as the recipe recommends, I just grabbed a bag of frozen apple pie fillin' that I mixed up last fall.  I knew it would be soupier, but I didn't realize that would make it taste SO GOOD!

I baked it in a 9 X 9 stoneware pan and it turned out looser than a traditional apple crumble.  Luckily for my ice cream, it made a delicious soft topping for vanilla ice cream.

I took out a taste test this afternoon and indulged.  Had to chase it down with a cup of hot tea to warm up from the cold ice cream!

Have a sweet day!

pour apple pie filling into pan
(or use mix of 4 c apples, 1 T lemon juice)
coat with mix of:
1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c rolled oats
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
bake at 350 for 30 minutes

No comments: