Wednesday, March 31, 2010

good one to cry on...


I knew it would happen eventually and finally today it did.  I cried at the end of the book. 

In front of the kids.

While Jack was reading.

And I didn't stop for a few minutes.

Of course, it was one of those dog books....think Old Yeller, but shorter.  I knew it would happen eventually.  There is SO MUCH good children's literature out there, I'm such a fan.  Most days, I'd rather pick up and read "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder than anything a modern fiction writer has done. 

Anyway, the consequences of it were immediate and long lasting!

1.  Jack suddenly got sort of quiet and though he'd just concluded his latest read-aloud, he wasn't really interested in discussing it.  Typical male!

2.  Lena felt empathy for me and brought it up again later (I won't tell you exactly how it ends in case you'd venture a read) feeling for the dog and boy.

It is a really simple, well written story, and we all enjoyed it in our own ways!!

No comments: