Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Who forms you?


Most often, I would attribute the formation of who each child is to creative design (God), DNA, and parental involvement. However, since Lena was born, I’ve seen too, the MAJOR effect a sibling can have on the developing personality and character traits of a child.


When Jack was young and developing ideas and thoughts, we were always supportive of him in his conversation (well, in everything!).

For instance…”Jack, if you were an animal what kind would you like to be?”
“I would like to be a giraffe because they can jump really high.”
“Oh really? I didn’t know giraffes could jump, I thought they were pretty fast runners, though.”
Notice the supportive, tone despite correcting some erroneous information?!

When Lena came along and started voicing (very early) her developing ideas and thoughts, Jackson was always there to set the record straight for her. For instance….
“Lena, what would you like to be when you grow up?”
“I want to be an elephant because they are neat.”
“NOOOOO, people can’t be elephants.”
Notice the unsupportive, know-it-all tone to the sibling’s answer? Not the supportive, encouraging tone given to a first born!

I could be wrong, and only the Lord knows how it will all turn out, but I feel like Jack’s often times non-supportive attitude toward Lena has had an effect on her development. I have chastised and counseled him often to change the way he talks to her, but to no avail as of yet. I want her to be able to flower in a home where everyone in her family is behind her and helping her to succeed or encouraging her when she fails.

It’s a work in progress, for sure. Working on Lena to keep up her self-esteem, and working on Jack to temper his words and attitude toward her. And, finally, working on Paul and I to manage it all with grace, patience, and wisdom!!!  At the beginning and end of each day, I'm so happy the kids have each other...they will appreciate that some day!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too am very happy the kids have each other and you and Paul. It is their placement in the family and they will always love and support each other during these wonderful growing years. Love, Janenne